Do you ever have a hankerin’ to make a certain something? How do I describe this? It is not that I am hungry for this certain thing. (Ever-Lovin’ and I can not and should not eat an entire pan of lemon bars.) I want to make it or bake it, and share it with somebody. That is how I had been feeling about lemon bars. I was so glad when the ADK sisters were coming for dinner. Now I had an excuse to make lemon bars. I liked them. I loved them. They were tart and sweet. The recipe is from my mother’s cookbook – A+ in Cooking (page 209). Bettie Sayers and Patti Redwine both donated this recipe. When there is more than one family that submits a recipe that is a family favorite, you can bet it is probably delicious. And these are delicious.
Simple ingredients that you probably have in your home – Butter, flour, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, lemons (juice and zest), and salt.
By March 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 9 X 13 inch pan
Delicious tart and sweet lemon bars.
- First Layer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sticks butter softened; you can use oleo
- Second Layer
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 medium lemons zested; yellow part only; optional
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice I used the juice from the three medium lemons It was about 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar for dusting lemon bars
- blackberries for garnish; optional
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- Butter a 9 X 13 cake pan
- Mix, butter, flour, powdered sugar and salt together
- Press crust with your fingers into the 9 X 13 cake pan. Press up the sides of the pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes
- Second Layer
- Zest and juice the lemons. (The original recipe called for 6 tablespoons of lemon juice. I used the zest and juice from the three medium lemons. It was about 1/2 cup of juice.) Be sure to strain the seed from the lemon juice.
- Beat eggs well.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating until pale yellow and increased in volume. (About 3-5 minutes)
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Sift the flour and salt and add to the lemon mixture.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the pre-baked crust.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes at 325 degrees until lemon mixture is set and lightly browned.
- Cool in pan. When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with blackberries if desired.