One of the easiest and most delicious holiday appetizers you can make is a cheese ball. The great thing about this delicious treat is that it is super quick to make, and you can make it several days in advance.. In about 15 minutes, you can have a cheese ball made and chilling in the refrigerator.
What I am sharing is my basic recipe. If I am feeling adventuresome or want something different, I have been known to use different cheeses, vegetables, or spices. The various combinations are endless.
Generally I use: grated Cheddar cheese, softened cream cheese, green onion, black pepper, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, and chopped pecans.
On this day, I also added a little roasted red pepper (pimentos would work), and some chopped green pepper. I wanted some green and red in the cheese ball for a touch of Christmas. I also like these flavors.
All of this is done in my food processor, but you could certainly mix it by hand.
First I chop the nuts in the food processor and set them aside.
Then I grate the Cheddar cheese in the food processor and set it aside.
Change back to the blade in the food processor bowl.
Add the Cheddar cheese and the softened cream cheese into the bowl of the food processor. Mix together.
Add the salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
Add the vegetables and nuts. Pulse until blended.
Shape into a ball. It is okay if you want to make two smaller balls or shape this into a log. Roll in chopped nuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with your favorite crackers.
The ladies started eating this as soon as I put it out. Usually I roll the cheese ball in nuts, but today I added all the nuts into the mixture and let the red and green flecks show.
I think it looks better rolled in nuts. Either way it is yummy!
It is okay to be creative when making cheese balls. Use different types of cheese or even a combination of various cheeses.
Blessings to you and yours,
To print the recipe, go to lanabird.com or click on the title of this post. The print button is under the share button.
By December 12, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 large cheese ball
A cheese ball that is quick to make and delicious to eat with your favorite cracker.
- 8 ounces Cheddar Cheese grated
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 green onions diced
- 3 tablespoons green pepper diced
- 3 tablespoons roasted red pepper pimentos would work
- 1 cup pecans chopped; divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or more to taste
- Using a food processor makes this super easy. You can certainly mix it by hand.
- Chop the pecans in the food processor using the chopping blade. Set aside.
- Grate the Cheddar cheese using the grating disc. Empty the grated cheese into a bowl.
- Change back to the blade In the bowl of the food processor. Put the grated cheese and cream cheese in the bowl and mix well.
- Add the salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and mix well.
- Add the onions, green pepper and roasted red pepper along with 1/2 of the pecans. Pulse until just combined.
- Form the cheese mixture into a ball and roll in the remaining pecans. You can also make two smaller balls, shape into a log, or serve as a spread.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It is best to chill for at least an hour. You may do this several days in advance.
- Course: Appetizer