I enjoy reading the blog Mennonite Girls Can Cook. The Canadian ladies that write this blog are excellent cooks who use fresh basic ingredients in their recipes. This morning there was a recipe for Lemon Coconut Bars, and I knew I wanted to try them. I love coconut, and to think about it paired with lemon set my mouth salivating.
I made them.
Ever-Lovin’ and I ate them.
Ever-Lovin’ proclaimed them delicious and said I should share with my dear readers. You can click on the link above to see their recipe, or here is what I did.
Dice the butter before you add it to the flour and sugar mixture.
With a pastry blender, combine the flour and sugar with the butter until little pea sized crumbles are formed. You could do this step in a food processor.
Pat the crust into a 9X13 inch pan and bake in a 350F degree oven for 15 minutes.
While the crust is baking, you can prepare the filling. You will need: four eggs, two lemons, baking powder, sugar, and coconut.
Zest the lemons. One of my favorite kitchen tools is the microplane. It makes getting zest from lemons, limes, and oranges so much easier. I like it. I love it. Honestly, if you cook at all, you need a microplane. The kitchen began to smell fantastic!
Beat the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, baking powder, and lemon zest until the mixture is pale yellow.
Pour the lemon filling over the crust and sprinkle with the coconut. Bake in the 350F degree oven for 25 minutes.
The Lemon Coconut Bars are lightly browned when done. Place on a cooling rack to cool. Dust with powdered sugar.
Look at these gorgeous bars. They are sweet, tart, and have the added bonus of coconut which makes them slightly chewy. Yummy, yummy, yummy!
Thank you Mennonite Girls Can Cook for this delicious recipe. It is a perfect spring treat.
Blessings to you and yours,
To get a printable recipe, click on the title of this post. The print button is under the share button.
I encourage you to follow Mennonite Girls Can Cook. They can COOK!
Lemon Coconut Bars
By March 24, 2015Published:
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
Lemon bars topped with coconut make a delicious and refreshing dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter 1 1/2 sticks of butter; cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest I used more
- 2 juice from lemons
- 1 cups shredded coconut
- powdered sugar for dusting the tops of the bars
- Preheat oven to350F degrees.
- Combine the flour and the powdered sugar. Cut in the cubed butter until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Pat the crust into a 9X13 inch baking pan. Bake in a 350F degree oven for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare the lemon filling.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, baking powder, and lemon zest until it is pale yellow.
- Pour filling over the baked crust and sprinkle with the coconut.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 25 minutes until the lemon coconut bars are lightly browned.
- Dust the top of the bars with powdered sugar.
- Place baked bars on a cooling rack to cool.