It has been a while since I have shared a recipe from my mother’s cookbook, A+ in Cooking.
The idea was to find a muffin or breakfast bread recipe to share with you. I for one was somewhat tired of having wheat toast every morning, and I wanted something different. I also wanted to share another recipe with you. Be still my heart. This recipe is better than I expected. It is so easy to make, and it is delicious!
Ingredients include: flour, baking powder, salt (not pictured), sugar, shortening (I used butter), eggs, cream cheese, milk, nuts, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
Chop the nuts. I used pecans.
Zest the lemons.
Combine the milk, cubed cream cheese, and lemon zest. Now you home is beginning to smell divine.
The first step is to cream the butter and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar at high speed until they are well combined.
Add the eggs and beat well. I added the eggs one at a time.
Beat the sifted dry ingredients into the sugar mixture.
Then beat in the milk, cream cheese, and lemon zest mixture.
Stir in the nuts. This bread was extremely easy to put together.
Pour the batter into greased and floured loaf pans and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 50 minutes. My pans were smaller (8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches), so I used two pans. I am sure you could use a larger loaf pan.
While the bread is baking, combine the remaining sugar with the lemon juice.
The bread is beautiful. Some might not like the cracked tops, but I thought it looked wonderful.
Brush the lemon glaze over the warm breads. Sweet Mother of Pearl – I wish you could smell this bread. If you like lemon, you will love this bread. The recipe said to cool for 30 minutes, but we couldn’t wait. Just smelling this bread made us want to eat it as soon as possible.
The Lemon Cream Bread could also be called a cake. It is moist, has a delicate lemony citrus flavor, and is super yummy. Ever-Lovin’ thought it might be nice to have more glaze to spread over the bread slices. That would be easy to do.
I would certainly make Lemon Cream Bread again. It is easy to make, and it could be served at breakfast, a luncheon, or as a dessert. I like it. I love it.
Blessings to you and yours,
To print the recipe, go to lanabird.com or click on the title of this post. The print button is under the share button.
Lemon Cream Bread
By February 12, 2015Published:
- Yield: 2 loaves *8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inches)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
A quick lemon bread that is moist and delicious.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar divided use
- 1/2 cup shortening I used butter
- 2 large or extra large eggs
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2` cups pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Grease and flour or use baking spray two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf pans. One larger loaf pan could be used.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside
- Chop pecans and zest the lemons.
- Combine the cream cheese, milk, and lemon zest.
- Cream 1 1/2 cups of the sugar with 1/2 cup shortening (butter). Mix on high speed until light.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and beat to combine.
- Add the milk, cream cheese, and lemon peel mixture and beat to combine.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Bake in greased and floured loaf pans at 375F degrees for about 50 minutes.
- While bread is baking, combine the remaining sugar with the fresh lemon juice. This will be the glaze for the bread.
- Brush glaze over the hot loaves bread.
- Skill Level: Easy